The ever-popular Pokemon series has done an amazing job of garnering one of the largest followings of any franchise to date. The games have provided something that the trading card game and popular anime series can not: true interactivity. And now with the addition of Pokemon Go, breeding, training and actually batteling the Pokemon isn’t just a dream anymore!
All of that said, this doesn’t mean we can’t delve a bit deeper into the Pokemon canon. We’ve compiled a list of some of the coolest and most intriguing Pokemon facts, secrets and rumors we could find.
10 Fun Facts That You Probably Didn’t Know About Pokemon
10. Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee are based on Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee, respectively.
9. Although it’s impossible for a Pokemon to have more than two types, if there were a Pokemon that was a combination of all 18 possible types, you’d probably think it’d be invincible, right? Well, it would actually still have one weakness. Rock type attacks would be super effective on this impossible Pokemon.
8. “Mr. Mime” can in fact be a girl, however the name doesn’t actually change. She would still be a Mr. Mime. I guess that makes sense, or else you’d think they would all be married!
7. The name Pokemon isn’t Japanese at all! It’s really just a combination English words “pocket” and “monster.”
6. Many Pokemon names include numbers, The original legendary trio of Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres include the Spanish words for one, two, and three (uno, dos, tres). Deino and his evolutions include the German words for one, two, and three (ein, zwei, drei).
5. Pikachu (Mouse Pokemon) has a pokedex number of 25, while Meowth (Cat Pokemon) has one of 52. Reverse those, and you can see that they are the opposite of one another, just like cats and mice.
4. Gengar is a Shadow type Pokemon and this “shadow” may be related to how similar it looks to Clefable.
3. Originally, Arcanine was intended to be a legendary Pokemon. The game team replaced Arcanine with Moltres before releasing the game, and make the fire dog a standard Pokemon. They must’ve regretted the idea of not including a fire dog legendary because they introduced Entei in the next generation.
2. Genesect is a very futuristic Pokemon, and Kabutops is an ancient fossil. However, there are rumors that Genesect is actually a Kabutops that’s been modified. Although the two don’t share any of the same types and use barely any of the same attacks, there is a definite resemblence, especially when you compare Genesect’s head to Kabuto.
1. Spinda isn’t an often-used Pokemon, but it has a pretty interesting trait. No two Spinda’s are the same, and to ensure that, the game developers created over 4 billion unique spot patterns for Spinda to have